Permits are the way the City of Scott City regulates construction. The purpose of this regulation is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard the public safety, health, and general welfare.


Permits help to ensure that all construction within the City of Scott City is built in accordance with the codes the City has adopted.

Permits should be obtained before any work on a project takes place.

Permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure. Electrical, mechanical or plumbing permits are required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace.

A Permit is required for each of the following:

  • New Commercial
  • Remodel Commercial
  • New Residential
  • Remodel Residential
  • New Roofing & Re-roofing
  • Fences and yard sheds
  • Plumbing, new construction, service taps
  • Electrical, new construction, remodel or modify service
  • Mechanical, new construction or replacement

Permits are not required for items such as painting, wallpapering, or similar finish work. A permit is also not required for existing window replacement. Minor repairs such as replacing electrical receptacles or repairing pipe leaks also do not require a permit.

Special Use and Variance Permits for certain activities that are prohibited in residential and commercial areas are available at City Hall. The application is reviewed at a public hearing by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

The fee for a Special Use or Variance Permit is $75.00. This fee is required at the time the application is made. Permits can be applied for at City Hall. Contact City Hall with any questions.

Permit Frequently Asked Questions