Contractor/Subcontractor Requirements

License Types and Fees

All Contractors and Subcontractors are required to be licensed with the City of Scott City.

INSURANCE. A contractor (general contractor, builder, electrician, plumber, or HVAC contractor) must procure and maintain a liability insurance policy in the amount of $100,000 for the death or injury of any one person and $300,000 for the death or injury of any number of persons in any one accident and $50,000 for property damage in any one accident. Such policies of insurance shall be issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Kansas. A contractor must file the certificate of insurance with the city clerk. The certificate shall be filed for a period on no less than one year, and renewed prior to the expiration date listed on the certificate. 

The following license types are available for $75.00 each

      • Building
      • Electrical
      • Mechanical
      • Plumbing

Contractors may be required to hold more than one type of license depending on the work being done.

Renew your Contractor license online. All new licenses must be obtained at City Hall.


Permit fees start at $35.00. Please visit City Hall to obtain permits and pricing. Most permits require additional fees based on the square footage and/or type of work being done. Multiple permits may need to be obtained for one overall project.

A Permit is required for each of the following:

  • New Commercial
  • Remodel Commercial
  • New Residential
  • Remodel Residentially
  • New Roofing & Re-roofing
  • Fences and yard sheds
  • Plumbing, new construction, service taps
  • Electrical, new construction, remodel or modify service
  • Mechanical, new construction, or replacement